How To Use A Reference Check Email Template
How to Use a Reference Check Email Template
As a business owner or hiring manager, you know that verifying references can be a necessary step to finding the best candidate for the job. However, it can also be a time consuming and laborious process. This is especially true when you’re trying to coordinate the availability of both yourself and the reference.
Why Use an Email Template
Using an email template to reach out to potential references has its advantages. It’s often faster and more efficient than a phone call or in-person meeting. It also helps to ensure that each reference is given the same set of questions, which can make it easier to compare the responses of different references.
What Should Be Included in the Email Template
Your email template should be concise, informative, and polite. You should include the following information:
- Your name and contact information
- The name of the candidate you’re seeking a reference for
- A brief description of the job they applied for
- A list of questions you’d like answered
- A timeline for when you need a response
- A thank you for the reference’s time and effort
Tips for Writing a Great Reference Check Email
When writing your reference check email, keep in mind that this is your opportunity to make a good impression with the reference. Here are a few tips to help you write a great email:
- Be polite and respectful. You’re asking for someone’s time, so be courteous and thank them for considering your request.
- Be clear and concise. Keep your message short, to the point, and easy to understand.
- Be specific. Give the reference a clear understanding of the job and what you’d like to know about the candidate.
- Be prompt. Give the reference a timeline for when you need a response.
Sample Reference Check Email Template
If you’re looking for a sample reference check email template to use, here’s one you can customize to your needs:
I hope this email finds you well. I’m writing to ask if you would be willing to provide a reference for [Name], who has applied for a [Position] position with our company.
I’d be grateful if you could provide answers to the following questions:
- What is your relationship to the candidate?
- What are the candidate’s strengths and weaknesses?
- How would you describe the candidate’s work ethic?
- Would you recommend the candidate for the position?
I appreciate your time and consideration, and I hope to hear back from you within the next [Timeframe].